Monday 5 September 2016

Sky's Musical Corner - Musical Q&A with Elle Field


 1.       What’s your favourite musical ever?

I have to pick just one? So difficult! Probably Mary Poppins, which is magical on stage, and it’s also more in keeping with the Mary Poppins books. The sets! The songs! The score! All wonderful.



2.            What comes to mind when you hear the word musical?

Songs. Story. Dance. Emotion. MAGIC.

3.             Have you ever seen a musical on the West End or Broadway?

Yes! I live in London, so I always see musicals on the West End, though I’d love to see one on Broadway.

4.            What’s the next musical you want to see?

Aladdin! I’ve been desperate to see it. Now it’s finally come to the West End, I shall be ticking that off my list at some point soon.

5.             Which musicals have you seen live?

Gosh! Let me see if I can remember them all!

Fame, We Will Rock You (four times), The Lion King (three times), Matilda (twice), The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Chariots of Fire, Sweet Charity, Sister Act the Musical, Oliver!, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Jersey Boys (twice), Shrek the Musical (twice), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Legally Blonde (twice), Viva Forever, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Priscilla Queen of the Dessert, Mamma Mia, The Book of Mormon, Spamalot, Avenue Q, The Wizard of Oz, A Chorus Line, Million Dollar Quartet, Blood Brothers, Dreamboats and Petticoats, Thriller Live, Billy Elliot, Wicked (twice), Betty Blue Eyes, Return to the Forbidden Planet, Rock of Ages, Mary Poppins, The Lord of the Rings, Chicago and Evita.

Can you tell I’m a fan? I’ve probably forgotten a lot, too!

6.            What’s your favourite song out of a musical?

Too many, again, to choose just one, but my top five would include: Hello (The Book of Mormon), Anything Can Happen (Mary Poppins), I’d Be Surprisingly Good For You (Evita), When I Grown Up (Matilda) and He Lives in You Reprise (The Lion King).


Hello from The Book of Mormon

7.             Who’s you favourite Musical actress?

I don’t really have a favourite, but Scarlett Strallen is awesome. I saw her as Mary in Mary Poppins, and her performance has always stuck in my head.

8.            Who’s you favourite Musical actor?

Again, I don’t have a favourite, but Alex Gaumond is brilliant. I’ve seen him in Matilda – he played the Trunchbull and was the perfect amount of hilarious, yet terrifying – and I’ve seen him play Freddy Benson in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Nigel Harman was also incredible in Shrek the Musical – I saw him play Lord Farquaad twice.



9.            Best Musical movie you have ever seen?

Across the Universe and Moulin Rouge! Moulin Rouge is a classic, and Across the Universe is brilliant. I’m not the biggest fan of The Beatles, but the songs fit the storyline and the cinematography beautifully.

10.         Which book would you turn into a musical?

Bridget Jones’ Diary. I think they have run workshops in the past to try and make this happen, so I hope they hurry up and work out whatever is delaying this production.

11.          Which musical has the best soundtrack?

Again, it’s too difficult to pick just one, but I’m going to go for We Will Rock You. I love Queen, so the We Will Rock You soundtrack is perfect.



12.         Take your favourite Musical and put together your own dream cast.

Ooh, OK, I said Mary Poppins was my favourite, so we’ll have Scarlett Strallen playing Mary and Gavin Creel can play Bert. Aden Gillett will play George Banks and Rebecca Thornhill will play Winifred Banks. (OK, I’ve picked who performed in it when I saw it – that cast was perfect!)

13.          Who is your favourite Musical composer?

I don’t have a favourite, but Tim Minchin, Andrew Lloyd Webber, the Sherman brothers and Alan Menken all deserve big nods.

14.         Which Musical made/makes you cry?

All of them! I tear up at every curtain call.

Elle Field writes coming of age romantic comedies, and is the author of the Arielle Lockley series and Geli Voyante’s Hot or Not. She grew up in Yorkshire, then moved to Scotland to study International Relations and Social Anthropology at the University of St Andrews.

Elle now lives in London with her boyfriend and their cat. She’s a massive fan of sunshine, giraffes, musicals, The Killers, Audrey Hepburn movies, playing Scrabble and tea. Oh, and reading, of course!

You can buy Elle’s books here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B00CHIC1GE
Visit her website: http://www.ellefield.co.uk
Follow her on Twitter: @ellefie

No comments:

Post a Comment