Friday 23 September 2016

Sky's Musical Corner - (Musical Q&A) with Alli Sinclair


1.    What’s your favourite musical ever?

     With no doubt my favourite is SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen it!

2.    What comes to mind when you hear the word Musical?

     1940s Hollywood musical extravaganzas with a cast of hundreds.

3.    Have you ever seen a Musical on the West End or Broadway? Oh, I wish! I live in Australia so it’s not an easy task to get to West End or Broadway but they are most definitely on my bucket list!

4.    What’s the next musical you want to see?

     MATILDA

5.    Which musicals have you seen live?

     Singin’ in the Rain, Strictly Ballroom, A Chorus Line, Oliver!, High School Musical, Le Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Cabaret, Chicago, We Will Rock You, Rocky Horror, My Fair Lady, Hair, Brigadoon, Grease, 42nd Street, Beauty and the Beast, South Pacific, Oklahoma!, Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, Evita, Mama Mia!, Bye Bye Birdie. I’m sure there are at least a dozen more but unfortunately my memory is failing me!

6.    What’s your favourite song out of a musical?

     I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables)

7.    Who’s your favourite Musical actress?

     Ethel Merman

8.    Who’s your favourite Musical actor?

     Gene Kelly (no one compares!)

9.    Best Musical movie you have ever seen?

     Can I generalise by saying anything with Gene Kelly in it? :)

10. Which book would you turn into a musical?

     Ooh! I’d love to see one of my books turned into a musical, especially as there is so much dancing and music that is part of storyline.

11. Which musical has the best soundtrack?

     I love Sound of Music because of the variety of the songs and you can’t help but sing along!

12. Take your favourite Musical and put together your own dream cast.

     Singin’ in the Rain – Adam Garcia (Don Lockwood), Emma Stone (Kathy Selden), Neil Patrick Harris (Cosmo Brown), Elisabeth Moss (Lina Lamont).

13. Who is your favourite Musical composer?

     I love George Gershwin’s music.

14. Which Musical made/makes you cry?

     Almost every single one I’ve seen! The one that really wins the prize for the largest tide of tears is Les Miserables.

15. Your book Midnight Serenade includes music and dance, can you tell us more about it? 

     Sure! Midnight Serenade is set in present-day and 1950s Argentina and unearths the passion, romance, and secrets of tango.

Book blurb:
On the sultry streets of Buenos Aires, the daughter of a world class tango diva searches for answers about the mother who abandoned her—and uncovers decades of lies and deception…

After twenty years of wondering why her mother chose tango over her, Dani McKenna finally travels to Argentina. What was it about this beautiful, mysterious land that enticed one woman away from her own child—and broke another’s heart? As a journalist, Dani may have the opportunity to find out. And an enigmatic tango dancer may hold the key to her quest—if she can break down his defensive walls.

Carlos Escudero had been Dani’s mother’s protégé. Tragedy ended his career and he refuses to be interviewed. But he will give Dani some insights, on one condition: she must agree to his tango lessons. As the two begin the intricate dance of passion, Dani’s quiet, logical world is exchanged for one of music, motion—and mystery. For the clues to a dance legend’s murder may lead Dani to the truth about the past and its impact on her family—and free her to move toward a future she can claim as her own at last…

16. What was your inspiration for the book?

     I spent many years living in Argentina and fell in love with tango. I loved how a lot of the philosophies behind tango relate to life and that got me thinking about creating a story where the character’s lives are so entwined with dance and music that it affects their personal lives as well. Add in the passion and fire of tango and a decades old mystery, and I had the makings of MIDNIGHT SERENADE.

17. Did you write other books about music/dance or will you?

     Yes, I’ve written three books that are about dance and music and they are part of the Wandering Skies series. They don’t need to be read in any particular order as each book has its own cast of characters and storyline. MIDNIGHT SERENADE is now available in ebook and print form, UNDER THE SPANISH STARS (about flamenco) will be out in December 2016 and UNDER THE PARISIAN SKY (about the Ballets Russes) will be available in May 2017. All are published by Kensington Books.

18. How did your writing career develop?

     Since I was young, I’ve written stories but I didn’t start pursuing a career as a writer until I was in my mid-thirties. Before then I was travelling the world and collecting new experiences which have helped me create the complex foreign characters and settings I love to write about. I’ve been published in Australia since 2014 and won some national awards, and this year I have branched out worldwide with my Wandering Skies series.

19. How would you describe your style of writing?

     My editors and many readers have described my writing as cinematic, which I find interested as often when I’m writing a scene, it unfolds before me like a movie.

20. What fascinates you about dancing?

     I love how dance can bring complete strangers together, how a subtle movement can express a deep emotion, how dance can bring tears of joy or sadness, and how you don’t have to be a certain age, shape, or background in order to revel in the joy of dancing.

BELOW ARE BUY LINKS AND BIOGRAPHY

BUY LINKS:





http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/midnight-serenade-alli-sinclair/1122857386


BIO:

Alli Sinclair is a multi award-winning author of books that combine travel, mystery, and romance. An adventurer at heart, Alli has climbed some of the world’s highest mountains and immersed herself in an array of exotic destinations, cultures, and languages. Alli’s stories capture the romance and thrill of exploring new destinations and cultures that also take readers on a journey of discovery.
 
Alli volunteers as an author role model with Books in Homes, promoting literacy and reading amongst young Australians.

Alli can be found at www.allisinclair.com .

Alli can be found at www.allisinclair.com 
Instagram: alli_sinclair
Google +: Alli Sinclair
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Alli-Sinclair/e/B00MSGMON0/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1456709127&sr=1-1


No comments:

Post a Comment