Wednesday 24 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Throne

Original Cover
My own copy

The blurb:

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

My Opinion:

As a big Harry Potter fan I was overexcited about this book to come out, or should I rather say script?! ;)

I was very sad when I finished book seven and started writing my own Harry Potter fanfictions, because I love the story and the characters so much. Now, here we are years later and the script of the play is made into a book. Both times tickets for the play went up for sale, I had no chance, so I’m very happy I at least get to enjoy the book (for now).

A lot of people have been put off by the fact that this is a script, but I had no problem with it at all, I loved it! I mean it’s a play and it’s great to read about stage directions and then seeing the dialogues. Yes, I might be a bit biased, because I love the theatre world, but anyway. I saw this whole play in my head, while reading. The actions, the scenes, the characters, everything and that’s what reading is about for me.
I loved catching up with all the characters, especially Harry, Ron and Hermione of course. What has become of them, what are they doing now?! Some things are a bit surprising, but that’s great actually. I was also very excited to read about their children and as it is, the story actually follows Albus Severus. He becomes best friends with Scorpius Malfoy and we get to follow their adventure, which is full of excitement and magic of course. A lot of things happen, but it’s all very entertaining and thrilling. I couldn’t put the book down. It’s awesome to finally get a glimpse of the “next” generation, but still getting enough of the “old” squad.

Both Harry and Albus go through a lot in this story and it was interesting to see them change. Relationships between father and son, but also husband and wife, friends etc. play a very important role in this story and I adored reading about them all. Scorpius Malfoy is a great character, I really liked him. I would have loved reading about some other characters as well, sadly that wasn’t the case, but it’s understandable, I guess the play would have been to full otherwise.

I have to get back to the script fact now. We all know that I think it’s amazing! First of all it’s different and second of all I think that the emotions came across even better, it also kind of leaves more space for your own imagination.

This script is full of twists and turns and even some surprises. I read this in one go and was actually sad when it all stopped again. The Harry Potter world is so fascinating and I don’t ever want it to stop.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!

Rating:












Goodreads - Amazon UK - Amazon US

No comments:

Post a Comment