Sunday 20 December 2015

The 12 Words of Christmas - Songs by Sophie



Songs

by Sophie


Other than the dreaded Christmas adverts, hearing festive songs on the radio when you’re in the car, out shopping or just flicking through the music channels is the first sign for me that Christmas is on its way. They’re definitely played far too early but that doesn’t stop them from being stuck in my head from about October onwards! There are many terrible ones but also a fair few that I love so I thought I’d share my favourites with you :)

1)     Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl


It’s a close run thing for my all-time favourite festive song but this one is right up there! It’s a family favourite too so a song that reminds me of some of the happy Christmases gone by.

2)     Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin’ Stevens


Ok I have a little confession to make – this is the one Christmas song that I listen to all year round… I can’t resist it! It’s purely feel-good and I love it :)

3)     I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday by Wizzard


Another classic and this one reminds me of when I was a kid and adored Christmas, wishing it would never end. I constantly had this song stuck in my head.

4)     Last Christmas by Wham!


I hated this Christmas song for years but now I unashamedly love it :) Not ever being able to escape Christmas music means there are some songs I’m forced to endure and this was definitely one of them! But it won me over eventually…

5)     Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade


This is the one I think is impossible to dislike! Another one like Shakin’ Stevens that puts me in the mood for Christmas.


Those are my five favourites and honestly, there’s not many more out of the thousands that I like! I do find myself humming to Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree and Jingle Bell Rock but I’d still probably switch them off if they came on the radio ;)


Last two songs 

The one that’s not really a Christmas song but I love it anyway!

Stay Another Day by East 17


It’s not even a guilty pleasure anymore – I just adore the cheesiness of this song!

And the Christmas classic I wish I never had to hear again…

All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey


I loathe this song. Don’t make me listen to it.

Sophie on Twitter: @SophieRTB

No comments:

Post a Comment