Monday 4 May 2015

Blogger Q&A with Jenny Marston

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



















I'm really happy to welcome my wonderful friend Jenny from Jenny in Neverland on Sky's Book Corner today. She answered some questions for me.

1. Where were you born and where do you call home?

Hello! Thank you so much for having me on your gorgeous blog today! I was born in Essex and I still live in Essex and although I have a nice little house with a gorgeous bedroom and have grown up, been to school and worked in Essex – I've never really held Essex in that special place in my heart where you would usually hold somewhere you call home. Truthfully, I love being away from home and going on holiday and I think for me, home is wherever I'm happy – whether that be at my boyfriends house or in another country entirely!

2. How long have you been blogging and why did you start doing it? 

I started blogging in March (ish) 2013 and I started because I stumbled, entirely by accident, across another book blog when I was Googling reviews for a certain book. I didn't even know book blogging was a thing so I was completely captivated by this blog I'd just found. I had a look around it and realised that this is something I would love to do – and probably be quite good at, given how much I read. I was also in a really bad place at that time in my life. I'd just quit my college course and my volunteer placement because my anxiety was getting so bad I couldn't hack it and I felt quite hopeless. But then I got in touch with the owner of said blog and she helped me set up my own and now I'm here! Blogging has saved me in more ways than one and I will be forever thankful to that blogger and all the other bloggers I met in the months following the creation of Jenny in Neverland for their support.

3. What is the name of the book you most recently blogged about?

Insanity (Mad in Wonderland)

4. What did you think about the cover?

I adored the cover! In fact, I used this book in my 2015 Reading Challenge and one of the categories was 'A Book Based Entirely On It's Cover' and this is the book I read for this exact category! I read another bloggers review of the book and although I liked what I heard, it was the cover that sold me. Some say it's quite cartoony – and it is – but i love it. It's a YA novel so I think everything about the cover fits perfectly.

5. If you could ask the Author 3 questions what would they be?

1) What do you think about the original Alice in Wonderland? (This book was his own weird and wacky take on the original story)
2) How much research went into writing this book?
3) If you were a character in Wonderland, which one would you be?

6. What is you most favorite character and why?

In that particular book or in any book I've ever read? In Insanity, my favourite character was called Pillar the Killer and he was the 'real-life' version of the Catapillar from Alice in Wonderland – and he was a psychopath. He was so funny and so endering and his scenes were my absolute favourite! My favourite character EVER – oh god, Max from The Book Thief.

7. What genre is your favorite and why?

I honestly cannot pick a particular genre that I read most and would consider my favourite. Ever since I started reading, I would read anything. Nothing ever stood out and made me want to read only that particular thing. I do read a bit of everything but genres I really enjoy reading are Crime, Mystery/Thriller, YA and Chick-Lit/Fiction.

8. If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?

Now why would you shipwreck me Simona? Why? Erm... I would take The Book Thief because it's my all-time favourite book and I think it'd make me feel better. Other than that... A guide on how to get off a deserted island? ;) What a typical answer! Maybe The Lord of the Rings? That's really long and I've never read it so it'd kill some time I guess.

9. Is there an author that you would really like to meet?

John Green. I've read all of his books and consider 2 of them my favourites ever; Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska. I also love his YouTube videos and think he seems like such a nice bloke as well as being extremely clever and wise.I think he'd be one of these people that although you admire them greatly, you're totally relaxed around them and look at them as a friend because of how he is and how he writes.

10. Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

Ooh Paperbacks! Although eBooks are so convenient and usually, miles cheaper to buy, paperbacks will always be better won't they? I love a gorgeous hardback copy too but those are pretty heavy to carry around and take up lots of room on your shelf so I don't have many but I do love the ones I do have.

11. Where do you prefer to buy your books?

Amazon and I usually buy them used as well. Amazon are so reliable and I like buying used books because 1) They're much cheaper and 2) I like getting them knowing someone – or many people – have read and enjoyed it before me. Sometimes the pages are a bit worn, or the cover is a little bent or there's scraps of paper inside that people have used as bookmarks but I love it all because it shows the book has been used and loved before.

12. Have you ever read a book more than once?

God yes! All my favourite books have been read more than once. The book I've read the most times is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It's one of my favourites and it's such a beautiful book and I adore Charlie. I also love the film adaptation. I've read The Book Theif, Paper Towns, Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars all twice too!

13. What book are you currently reading? (March 2015)

I'm currently reading The Dead Wife's Handbook by Hannah Beckerman because I was stuck for what to read next and loads of my Twitter friends recommended this and now I see why!

14. What book are you about to start reading?

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to read next! I never do! I always wait until I need to start a new book and see what I'm in the mood for. I have my eye on a few which I might pick up but again, I won't know until I get there.

15. Have you read a book that you would like to rewrite the ending of?

I actually can't think of any off the top of my head that I've had that thought with.

16. Do you have a favorite book cover? Chose up to 3 if you like.

I haven't read the book yet, I have it on my shelf ready and waiting but I adore the cover of Deep Blue Sea by Tasmina Perry. It's gorgeous and so summery. I love the pastel colours and if I could, I would use that cover as a photo on my bedroom wall.

17. If you could plan the perfect holiday, what would it be?

Oh this is too hard! Far too hard! I love going on holiday – UK weekend breaks, country holidays, beach holidays, skiing holidays, visiting friends holidays – so my idea of a perfect holiday would be a very weird concoction between all of those. My ideal holiday would be the opportunity to travel and do a variety of different things in different places.

18. How often do you blog?

I have no schedule and no amount of posts I aim to post in a week. I used to have a very strict schedule and post 3 times a week on certain days but that didn't work for me so now I just post if and when I want. It's usually 1 or 2 – sometimes 3 – times a week. I actually recently wrote a blog post on this, which you can find here; https://jennyinneverland.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/blog-scheduling-yay-or-nay/ If you're interested!

19. What’s your favorite color?

Pink! Baby pink :)

20. What are 5 items you never leave home without?

My phone (I am ATTACHED to it), my bachs rescue remedy mouth spray which helps with anxiety, a bottle of water, usually a snack like a banana and my house keyes.

21.Favorite book character crush.  Yes you can pick 2 :)

Max from The Book Thief! It's not even a crush – it's a full-on love affair at this point. I absolutely adore him, I did from the second I read about him in the book. Also, I completely fancy Ben Schnetzer who plays him in the film. I even got a reply on Tumblr from him when I told him how much I enjoyed his new film, Pride! Safe to say, I almost hyperventillated!

22. Sleep in or get up early?

Depends! I love a lay in and I'm very good at lay ins haha. I love my sleep but on certain days I love getting up early and getting stuff done. When I'm away or on holiday I tend to get up quite early.

23. Summer or winter?

Neither! I don't do well with extreme heat but the extreme cold can get boring after a while. I love Spring – it's such a beautiful month when the weather is nice enough to spend more time outside and the flowers have finally started to come out. Everything looks so pretty and with it comes a whole season of opportunities and hope.

Ugh, neither! I hate wine! I'm not a drinker and the only things I can stomach are drinks that are fruity – like cocktails – which don't actually taste like alcohol!

25. Coffee or tea?

Tea all the way!

26. Where can we find you?


No comments:

Post a Comment