Friday 28 November 2014

How writing has changed my life by Hilary Grossman

The lovely Simona asked me to share how being an author and writing has changed my life...  

At first I had no answer... Because in most ways absolutely nothing has changed for me since I published my book, Dangled Carat.  

I still have an hour plus commute each way to work, which I still complain about on a daily basis. 
I still work at the same company, doing the same job.  
Saturday morning is still laundry day. I fold while chatting with my mom. 
My unhealthy addiction to denim and shoes continues.  
And I still love to wash dishes but detest drying them. 

But as I pondered I realized that my life has changed dramatically. It has gotten much richer!   As a result of writing the book I had the opportunity to meet and develop friendships with so many people. 

I continue to be blown away by book bloggers who work tirelessly, offering praise and constructive criticism, helping people pick their next read.  Their efforts mean so much to a new kid on the writing block like me.  

I have spent my life in corporate America where it seems everyone is out for themselves, only worried about their own successes.  People don’t selflessly help each other.  The opposite hold true for authors.  I continue to be amazed at how helpful and supportive authors are.  They constantly are willing to help one another by offering knowledge, support, and sometimes a shoulder to cry on when things get tough, and your insecurities get the better of you.

But best of all I am thankful for the readers who I have had the pleasure to connect with.  I decided to write my story because I wanted to help other people who were experiencing the same thing - dating a commitment-phobe.  It is a very difficult position to be in, everyone in your life has an opinion and offers advice. You constantly feel like you are second guessing yourself and your actions, wondering if you should follow your heart.  By sharing my story I have helped others. I have received countless emails, Facebook and Twitter messages from people who are currently in the same predicament that I was in.  They have shared their stories and I have offered a sympathetic ear and advice.  These communications mean the world to me, and I look forward to helping others...

Hilary on Twitter: @feelingbeachie

No comments:

Post a Comment