Sunday 6 July 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - by John Green


Original Cover
My own copy


















The blurb:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Opinion:

So I finally found the time to read this book, I wanted to for a long time, especially because the movie is coming out soon (by the time I post this review, the movie will be in the cinemas).

The story follows Hazel Grace who is a 16 years old cancer patient. In a support group her parents send her to she first meets Isaac and then also his friend Augustus. They become great friends and eventually something deep develops between her and Gus. I love these two together, the chemistry was there from the start and I loved that they were able to talk about everything. It was true love.

This book is really funny at times, but it also made me cry a lot. The topic of cancer is difficult and delicate and we get to read about it first hand. Hazel goes through a lot in this book, yet John Green found a great way to write about her life, so that she seemed like every other normal teenager. Then “baam” another surprise jumped out of a page and changed everything.

This book is not only about fighting cancer and all the other circumstances this disease intiles, but also about friendship, love and being happy.

It was great to read about Hazel reading this book over and over again and connecting to it. The ending is still unclear and then the opportunity to meet the author comes up. Together with her mum and Gus she goes to Amserdam and meets him. Let’s just see the whole journey and the meeting turn out differently than expected.

John Green’s writing is different, clever, emotional, refreshing and it really connects the reader into the story. The book left me wanting more and it will definitely stay with me…
The perfect mixture between humour/happiness and tragedy/sadness. Keep your tissues ready.

Rating:






My possible cast: I didn’t choose my own cast, since the movie is out now... The movie is brilliant! I loved every second of it and cried like a baby...


Here is the trailer:

John on Twitter: @realjohngreen



No comments:

Post a Comment