Friday 25 July 2014

Q&A with Kelly Rimmer

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

















I'm very happy to welcome the wonderful Kelly Rimmer on Sky's Book Corner today. Thank you for answering my questions lovely lady, xxx.
Her novel Me Without You came out in June, I've read it and it's AMAZING!!! Read my review here: http://skysbookcorner.blogspot.ch/2014/06/me-without-you-by-kelly-rimmer.html

Bio
When my childhood friends grew out of make-believe games, I realised that I’d have to become a writer (or join the real world with them, but that seemed far too dull).Several decades later, I live in rural Australia with my husband Daniel and our two young children, and when I’m not reading, writing, or daydreaming about reading and writing, I have one of those unfathomable IT jobs which no one outside of the industry really knows about.




Interview

1. Did you always dream of being a writer?

Absolutely always. I went through a phase a few years ago when I tried to stop and find another past-time - I think I lasted less than a day!! It's almost a compulsion.

2.    Your novel Me Without You came out in June, what was your inspiration for the story?

I was literally on a ferry when I had the first idea that lead to this book! I saw a lady in a suit - without shoes - and a man tried to pick her up. She was quite dismissive and it was actually rather awkward, but it got me thinking...what if it wasn't like that...what if they had hit it off…? I’d had a few key ideas that I wanted to explore and the opening scene became the vehicle for that broader story.

3.    I absolutely love this story, can you tell us a little more about how you developed the characters and their love?

I'm so glad you enjoyed it - the truth is, it took me a few goes to get the characters right. I started with the opening scene and over quite a few drafts adjusted the people in it until they felt like the right fit for the story...and for each other.

4.    Your debut novel is called Suspending Reality. Whats it about?

It's contemporary women's fiction, about three women who try to deal with their problems by leaving them behind.

5.    What are you working on right now?

The novel I'm working on at the moment is about family. I'm really excited about it - but it's early days so I won't say too much !

6.    You live in Australia, what do you like most about living there?

Australia is a magnificent country - I love it here. There's just so much to love - it's a diverse environment and culture.

7.    Where and when do you write your stories?

I write mostly late at night when my children are in bed, although every now and again I go away alone for a few days so I can really focus on whatever I'm working on. I usually go somewhere beautiful for 'inspiration' but in reality on those retreat weekends I write exclusively - I only stop for a few hours sleep when I absolutely have to, so I could be in a cardboard box and it probably wouldn't matter !!

8.    What do you do and enjoy when youre not writing?

I adore my children - if I'm not writing or at my day job, I am generally soaking them up.

9.    Who is your favourite author and why?

I love to read and it's very difficult for me to pick a single favourite author but I have been particularly inspired by Jodi Piccoult.

10.    If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?

Whichever book I'm currently working on, something brand new to read, and probably something along the lines of "A Practical Guide to Surviving Being Shipwrecked on a Desert Island".

11.      How would you describe your style of writing?

I love it when readers say something I wrote is 'easy to read' - that's exactly what I'm aiming for. I love reading books where the language is easy to binge on so that you can really connect with the heart of the story.  I think good books are just like the characters having a chat with the reader, so I think my style is conversational.

12.     You also write short stories. How is that different from writing a novel?

I find it very challenging to be economical with words while keeping a story engaging. I think it's a different skill - one I'm definitely still working on !!

13.      The cover of Me Without You is beautiful. How was it developed?

It is lovely, isn't it ! All credit goes to my fabulous publishers, Bookouture. I think the image really captures both the joy and the sorrow of the story of Cal and Lilah.

14.      How important is the title of a book for you?

I find titles really, really difficult...I usually have a provisional title in mind from when I first start on a story, but it's generally just a condensed version of whatever idea inspired the story and not necessarily an appropriate final title !! But the title is so important, because it's the reader's first clue as to what the book is about and that first impression really counts.

15.   Imagine Me Without You would be turned into a movie. What would be your dream cast?

I think Isla Fisher could play Lilah, and there's a fabulous Australian actress called Judith McGrath who I think would make a brilliant Peta...but as for Callum...arguably the most important character in the story...I have such a specific mental image for him that I can't think of a single actor who's a match!

16.    Coffee or tea?

I'm such a coffee addict that in all fairness I should probably be giving coffee co-authorship credit on my books.

17.     Paperback or e-reader?

I'm firmly on the fence with this one. I read a lot more digital books these days, but I do still love the feel of a paperback.

18.     Mountains or the sea?

I live a long way from the sea, so I particularly appreciate it when I see it!

19.      Summer or winter?

Can I say autumn...? I just love autumn!! I live in a rural city which really experiences a very dramatic autumn and it's absolutely my favourite time of year.

20.   Sweet or salty?

Definitely sweet - I am a hopeless choc-a-holic.

Kelly on Twitter: @KelRimmerWrites






No comments:

Post a Comment