Thursday 12 June 2014

Q&A with Carrie Stone

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
















I'm very happy to have Carrie Stone on the blog today, she answered me some questions, thanks lovely lady xx. 

Bio
Carrie was born and raised in London and the suburbs, but tired of the dreary weather and her permanently pale skin, has spent the last eight years living and working internationally.She currently resides in sunny Spain with her pre-packed suitcase - ready for upcoming adventures in far flung places!
She has just finished working on her third novel - Kate & Alf, available soon!

To find out more about her, visit her website www.carriestone.co.uk

Interview

1.    You work full time as a full time International Psychic Medium. Can you tell us a little more about that?

I guess it may appear as a bit of an unusual ‘job’ but for me it’s a way of life.  And no I’m not crackers! I’ve always seen spirit people and I’ve always known things before I’m told them. I’m overly aware of energy.  I used to work for large corporate companies and do the readings for free in my spare time but demand quickly grew…. I was a bit reluctant to give up my ‘normal’ lifestyle to do something that gets judged so heavily, but you can only deny who you really are for so long, right!?! So a few years ago I decided to take the step and work with it full time. I’ve never looked back. I have clients from all over the world and all different walks of life. I work on word of mouth and recommendation. It’s the most fulfilling work I could ever have dreamed of.

2.    How did you get to writing and how did your writing career develop?

With my first novel I was 21 and fed up with my office job, so I started to write Tripping on Love when the boss wasn’t around to keep the boredom at bay. I wrote 10k words and then totally forgot about it for another six years... I found the manuscript on an old laptop when I was 27 and decided (for fun) to finish it. It took four months of my spare time and once completed I had no idea what to do with it.  I got told to send it to agents, so I sent it to six and all refused. Then someone suggested Amazon as I could stick it on there quite easily and it wouldn’t die a death on the laptop again for another six years…..  I thought if I put it for 99p and in the KDP scheme then I can give it away for free on a regular basis. No one even has to buy it and at least a handful of people might read it! I never in a million years expected it to have thousands of downloads within the first days and subsequently end up very high in the Amazon Best Seller rankings.  I guess after that, it was a case of realising that people were interested in reading my ramblings! I wrote a second book, Love or Money? and then a third… and now a fourth…. So it’s been a fun couple of years and very unexpected. 

3.    Your debut novel is called Tripping On Love. What’s it about?

Set between London and Marbella, it’s based around a girl in her late twenties that is newly single, newly fired and living as a room mate. When she gets a job at a travel company she starts to think life might be on an upward trend, especially after a chance meeting with a handsome stranger. Wondering if he’s 'The One' she's been searching for, she jets between the UK and Spain and begins to encounter startling family revelations, love triangles and shocking friendship discoveries.  It’s a light and fun read.

4.    Can you tell us a little more about your second book Love or Money?

It‘s based around four women battling with the trials of work and realtionships. Felicity is successful and money-driven when her world is thrown upside and she finds herself taking an unexpected trip to Australia.  Best friend Zara has a new baby on the way but all is not as calm as it appears to be with husband Steve. Glenda is fifty-something and about to rediscover her passion for dating... and Sylvia is contemplating the future with her celebrity partner when a life changing incident throws everything into turmoil.
All four women being to question the familiar dilemma... Love or Money? Or can you have both?

5.    Kate and Alf is your third novel, it will be released soon. What can you tell us about it?

It’s about a couple in a long-term relationship struggling with the next stage of commitment. That’s about as much as I can say for now!

6.    What are you working on right now?

At the moment, I’m working on a novel about non-identical twins. One is earthy and bohemian, the other material and ego obsessed. It’s about how their relationship, not to mention personalities change when they fall for the same guy.

7.    Where and when do you write your stories?

I write whenever I fancy it and have the free time. Usually at the dining table in my living room.  I am very easily distracted and quickly bored, so I have no set routine. As and when…

8.    What do you do and enjoy when you’re not writing?

I love catching up with friends over lunches and coffees…  Or spending time with my family and walking the dogs on the beach or campo… Or a short trip somewhere.

9.    Who is your favourite author and why?

Lesley Pearse because she’s such a fantastic storyteller.  I get totally caught up in the story when I’m reading anything of hers. Other favourites are Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green, Jeffrey Archer and Jackie Collins. I could go on and on….

10.  If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?

Only 3? Well, it would have to be Creative Visualisation by Shakti Gawain and The Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield. Both of these to keep me relatively sane and balanced at the predicament of being shipwrecked! Then finally i’d need something light, funny with a romantic ending to encourage me that love fairytales can happen and give me hope in meeting Mr Shipwreck! So it would have to be Can you keep a secret by Sophie Kinsella.
          
11.  You currently live in Spain, you also lived in other places like Switzerland. How does it feel to change from country to country and where did you like it best so far?

I have terrible wanderlust and those closest despair of me always changing! But life is for living isnt it?!.... I couldn't imagine being based in just one place for the many years ahead. I like the idea of seeing the world and thankfully my work is flexible enough to allow me to do that. My bank balance is another matter though! Australia has to be my favourite place. I’m planning to return soon.

12. You also write short stories. How is that different from writing a novel? What does your family think about you being a writer?

I write lots of short inspiriational pieces – some of which are published in various spiritual mags and a few on my Blog. I guess short stories are my personal favourite because I can write them on a more frequent basis, reflective of my mood that day.

13. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?

      I wouldn't change anything! Everything that happens is for a reason and a lesson. My life hasn't been easy but in many ways its been wonderful. I‘m very blessed!

14. Is there research about locations and places involved when you write a story?

If im honest i’ve never researched but thats mainly because I only write about places I know. So im basing it on personal experience of that location. It’s also a great excuse for me to travel around more now...!

15. How do you manage to put writing and your job under one hat?

      My spirit work is delicate and can be quite heavy, given the situations I'm sometimes dealing with.  My writing is light and provides me with that much needed respite. So the two things balance me perfectly. However i prefer to keep them very seperate, although I'm aware the odd inspiriational message does sometimes filter through in my writing....

16. Coffee or tea? Tea

17. Paperback or e-reader? Paperback

18. Mountains or the sea? Sea

19. Summer or winter? Summer

20.  Sweet or salty? Salty

Carrie on Twitter: @CarrieStoneUK






No comments:

Post a Comment