Friday 14 February 2014

Q&A with Aven Ellis

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



       Happy Valentine's Day my lovelies. ♥ 
       It's such a pleasure to have the amazing Aven Ellis on the blog today. I absolutely loved her novel Connectivity, especially the perfect and sexy William Cumberland. Of course also Mary-Kate and their story. MK and William had their first date on Valentine's Day, so I decided to post this Q&A on Valentine's Day as well. Aven is also posting some bonus scenes with MK and William from time to time. Of course there is one today as well, check it out here: http://avenellis.com/blog/connectivity/connectivity-valentines-day-bonus-scene/
       I adore this scene, it's perfect ♥ 
       Thank you so much Aven, I'm so happy to have you on the blog today. Lots of Love xxx

Bio
Aven Ellis has been writing fiction since she was sixteen. She studied communications at a large Midwestern university, and after graduation, Aven worked as a reporter for a community newspaper, followed by a stint at a public relations agency.
But writing about city council meetings and restaurant franchises was not as much fun as writing for young women trying to figure out their careers and potential boyfriends. So Aven got herself a job in television that allowed her to write at night.  Connectivity is Aven’s debut novel; Waiting For Prince Harry and Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista (New Adult romantic comedy) will be published this year.
Aven lives in Dallas with her family. When she is not writing, Aven enjoys shopping, cooking, connecting with friends on social media, and watching any show that features Gordon Ramsay.


Interview

1.  Did you always dream of being a writer? 


Yes. I've been writing stories since the 5th grade. I wrote my first *romance* novel when I was 15. It was a high school drama, lol.


2.    Connectivity was your first novel. How did you feel when it was released? 


I couldn't believe it happened! Connectivity was written after a six year hiatus from writing. And it's the one that sold. :-)


3.    Tell us more about your inspiration for William Cumberland and Mary-Kate. 


William came to me while watching an episode of Sherlock (The Blind Banker, actually.) I was staring at Benedict Cumberbatch's wild wavy hair and thought, "It would be interesting to write a character with dark, wavy hair." Another one of my favorite actors is Henry Cavill--both British, both have dark wavy hair, both have blue eyes. Hello William Cumberland! Mary-Kate didn't come as easily to me. After writing and crossing things out and thinking, all of the sudden I had her. And she is perfect for William. 


4.    How did the story of Connectivity develop? 


William came first. Then I sketched Mary-Kate and the plot. I wanted to write a story about a young woman trying to figure out her career, her romantic life, what her dreams for the future really were. And that formula is now what I base all my books on. I love talking to women in their 20's, and they inspire me to keep writing these heroines.


5.    Any news on your second novel and plans for future books? 


Waiting For Prince Harry is coming out in April and I'm really excited for this book. In the fall I'll releaseChronicles of  a Lincoln Park Fashionista. I'm finishing a manuscript now and know the next two I'm going to write. So that will keep me busy until 2015, ha ha.


6.    Where and when do you write your stories? 


My writing time is very limited with having a full-time job and a family. I write every Saturday morning for a few hours, then I write at work on my lunch break. 


7.    What do you do and enjoy when you’re not writing? 


I'm obsessed with food. Food magazines, cookbooks, cooking shows. I love cooking. LOVE IT. I also love working out (probably because I'm always eating), and I love talking with people on social media. 


8.    The cover of Connectivity is amazing, I love the colour. How was it developed? 


This is funny--the cover for Connectivity was a first draft. Not one changed made to it. The artist got my request and completely understood my vision for the book. And she picked purple--I never even mentioned the color to her, but it really works!


9.    If you could switch places with a characters from a book, who would it be and why? 


Oh tough one. I'd have to say Mary-Kate Grant so I could make out with William. ;-)


10.  How much research do you do? 


A lot. I research everything from cocktails to street location. I spent hours researching William Cumberland's Chicago Penthouse to get the feeling just right.


11.  What books have most influenced your life most? 


My Life In France By Julia Child changed my life. Her cooking career didn't even begin until after the age of 40. It's never too late to pursue your dreams! Julia lived with zest. Passion. I re-read that book every few months. It's one of my most treasured belongings.


12.  What was the hardest part of writing your book? 


Sending it to the publisher.


13.  How would you describe your style of writing? 


Fun. Hopeful. Romantic.


14.  If you could plan the perfect holiday, what would it be? 


I'm a sucker for New Year's Eve. I'd spend it with friends, eating a nice meal, bottle of wine, and sharing positive thoughts for the coming year.


15.  What do you enjoy most about writing? 


That writing has brought so many amazing people into my life. What a blessing and an honor! 


16.  Coffee or tea? COFFEE. WITH CREAM.


17.   Paperback or e-reader? Both-why limit yourself? 


18.  Mountains or the sea? Mountains. 


19.   Summer or winter? Winter. (Ironic since I live in Texas.)


20.   Sweet or salty? I used to be 100 percent sweet, but I'm coming around on salt. I bought some Porcini mushroom salt the other day that is to die for. 



Thank you my dearest for answering all my questions. xxx


Aven Ellis on Twitter: @AvenEllis
Website: http://www.avenellis.com








No comments:

Post a Comment